Step 1: Attend Orientation & Training
ALL NEW ZOOM TUTORS:
RSVP to attend a New Tutor Orientation & Training. No volunteer commitment is needed to attend the Orientation!
A background check DOES NOT need to be completed to attend an Orientation session.
Step 2: Register
Create a User account with us using the form below.
If 18 & older, you must complete the ensuing background check application ($15 fee is required by Checkr.com to run your background check).
If under 18, you must also complete the Minors Registration Form below, as well.
Once you pass the background check, and attend to the other steps, you will be able to RSVP to tutor with us.
PLEASE NOTE: The background check can take anywhere from a few hours to over a week. So please plan accordingly.
After submitting the form below, you’ll see a confirmation message on this page with your unique invitation link to complete your background check with Checkr.
You’ll then be able to start the background check process on the Checkr website.
After you submit your background check, you’ll get the following information via email:
• A confirmation email from us (SDRT) with some basic information.
• Another email from us with your username (your email address can also be used) and a link to create your password for our website.
• You’ll get an email from Checkr with your unique invitation link as well. This is useful in case you close this window before following the invitation link you’ll see in the confirmation message.
• Once you’ve started your background check and paid the $15, you’ll get a receipt from Checkr for your payment. NOTE: All funds are paid directly to Checkr for their services only. We do not receive any of those funds and that payment is not tax-deductible.
• When your background check is complete, you should get an email from Checkr with the results. At this point, you will be able to RSVP for events within 1 business day as long as Steps 1 and 3 are also completed. You can see the status of these FOUR SDRT Volunteer Requirements from your Profile Page.
If you do not receive any of these emails from us or Checkr, please check your SPAM folder and add both of us to your safe sender list.
Alternately, if you DO NOT receive an email from Checkr with your results within a few days, and your Profile Page does not show a completed background check, please go online to your Checkr account to see if you have been cleared. If your background check has cleared, but that is not reflected on your Profile Page, please email us and we will sort out the technicalities.
Are you under 18 years of age?
We welcome you to volunteer!
Please REGISTER BELOW and ALSO submit a Minors Registration Form here and we will respond with further steps to take.
Step 3: Agree to SDRT Policies
Login to your Profile Page and digitally agree to both SDRT’s Code of Conduct and Volunteer Release of Liability.
From your Profile Page, you will also be able to check on the status of your background check.
Step 4: RSVP
In order for us to maintain a healthy 1-to-1 student-to-tutor ratio, we require that all volunteers plan to RSVP for and attend at least ONE session each WEEK for the duration of the school year. Our goal for you is to build a strong rapport with one of our students through consistent attendance, one week at a time.
You will be able to RSVP once Steps 1 thru 3 have been completed.
Our Online Tutoring Sessions are held on Tuesdays and Thursdays at the following times:
K to 5th Grade: 4:45 p.m.–6:20 p.m.
6th thru 12th Grade: 6:00 p.m.–7:30 p.m.
Step 5: Donate!
SD Refugee Tutoring is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization that relies heavily on monetary donations.
As a prospective tutor, we are very thankful for the time you are planning to give to our students. We would additionally love you to consider donating to help keep the program running. DONATE HERE