Step 1: Attend orientation
Attend a one-hour orientation!
**Our last New Tutor Orientation for the 2018–2019 school year has passed. Our first Orientation of the 2019–2020 school year will occur before tutoring resumes on Tuesday, September 24th, so stay tuned! If interested in non-tutoring Summer Opportunities, or to be notified when the RSVP page for our next New Tutor Orientation goes live, please email: [email protected] **
When attending Orientation, please arrive by 5:30 p.m. We will begin orientation promptly at that time.
You will NOT be able to tutor the students on the same day as your orientation, but you will be able to join us for tutoring thereafter as long as you have registered with us and your background check is cleared.
Your background check does NOT need to be completed in order to attend Orientation.
RETURNING TUTORS: Please contact us in order to start tutoring ASAP! All returning tutors need to complete a new background check every school year; we will give you the link to start that when you send us an email. Thank you for understanding!
Step 2: Try to register at least two weeks before your first session
Create an account with us and complete the application for the background check ($15 fee is required for running the background check).
You will not be able to RSVP for a tutoring session until you complete these steps and pass the background check.
PLEASE NOTE: The background check can take anywhere from a few hours to over a week. So please plan accordingly based on when you wish to start tutoring.
After submitting this form, you’ll see a confirmation message on the page here with your unique invitation link to complete your background check with Checkr.
You’ll start the background check process on their website.
NOTE: None of your sensitive information is stored on our website at all; all of that is handled by Checkr.com only. The only information kept on our site is related to your login credentials and a simple Yes/No whether you have passed the background check.
After you submit your background check, you’ll get the following information via email:
- A confirmation email from us (SDRT) with some basic information.
- Another email from us with your username and a link to create your password for our website. Please store that password safely (perhaps consider using LastPass). Keep in mind that your user account will not be active until you have passed your background check.
- You’ll get an email from Checkr with your unique invitation link as well. This is useful in case you close this window before following the invitation link you’ll see in the confirmation message.
- Once you’ve started your background check and paid the $15, you’ll get a receipt from Checkr for your payment. NOTE: All funds are paid directly to Checkr for their services only. We do not receive any of those funds and that payment is not tax deductible.
- When your background check is complete, you should get an email from Checkr with the results. At this point, your user account will be enabled to RSVP for events!
If you are unable to RSVP after receiving your background check results from Checkr, please email us the results of your background check and we will manually update your SDRT user account.
Alternately, if you DO NOT receive an email from Checkr with your results within a few days, please go online to your Checkr account to see if you have been cleared and then try to RSVP for your desired tutoring session. If you are unable to RSVP, please email us and we will sort out the technicalities.
If you do not receive any of these emails from us or Checkr, please check your SPAM folder and add both of us to your safe sender list to prevent any further issues with receiving emails.
Are you under 18 years of age? We welcome you to volunteer. Please submit a registration form over here and we’ll respond to you with credentials soon.
Step 3: RSVP for three sessions every month
In order for us to maintain a healthy 1-to-1 student to tutor ratio, we ask that all volunteers plan to RSVP for at least THREE sessions each month. This also helps to build rapport with you and our students.
Step 4: Donate
SD Refugee Tutoring is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization that relies heavily on monetary donations. If you are a tutor, we are very thankful for your time that you give to our students. We would additionally love you to consider donating to help keep the program running. DONATE HERE