NEW TUTORS: Follow steps below starting with “Step 1: Attend Orientation”.
Welcome back; we’re excited for your return! The following steps must be completed at the start of each school year before being able to tutor with us again:
1. Tutors 18 & older: Pass a new Background Check (link found on this page)
>>Tutors Under the Age of 18: Fill out a new Minors Registration Form (link found on this page)
2. Digitally agree to Code of Conduct
3. Digitally agree to Volunteer Release of Liability
4. Attend a Training Session (Contact us to RSVP)
Please login to your PROFILE PAGE and complete steps 2 & 3 above.
Please contact us with any questions!
Step 1: Attend Orientation
RSVP to attend a one-hour ONLINE New Tutor Orientation. No volunteer commitment is needed to attend, so tune in to see what we’re all about! A background check does NOT need to be completed in order to attend this first Orientation.
At this time, all of our New Tutor Orientations are FULL and we do not have any more scheduled for the 2020–2021 school year. There might be one slated for October; we will keep this section updated with that information. Please sign up for our newsletter to stay up-to-date with these events.
Space is extremely limited and you will need to RSVP on the event page in order to virtually attend. Please RSVP to only ONE session.
Step 2: Register
Although part 2 of the Orientation process as a new volunteer is a New Tutor Training session, you must FIRST create a User account with us (using the form below) and then complete the ensuing background check application ($15 fee is required by Checkr.com to run your background check).
Once you pass the background check, you will be able to RSVP for a New Tutor Training session (Step 4).
PLEASE NOTE: The background check can take anywhere from a few hours to over a week. So please plan accordingly.
After submitting the form below, you’ll see a confirmation message on this page with your unique invitation link to complete your background check with Checkr.
You’ll then be able to start the background check process on the Checkr website.
NOTE: None of your sensitive information is stored on our website at all; all of that is handled by Checkr.com only. The only information kept on our site is related to your login credentials and a simple Yes/No whether you have passed the background check.
After you submit your background check, you’ll get the following information via email:
• A confirmation email from us (SDRT) with some basic information.
• Another email from us with your username (your email address can also be used) and a link to create your password for our website.
• You’ll get an email from Checkr with your unique invitation link as well. This is useful in case you close this window before following the invitation link you’ll see in the confirmation message.
• Once you’ve started your background check and paid the $15, you’ll get a receipt from Checkr for your payment. NOTE: All funds are paid directly to Checkr for their services only. We do not receive any of those funds and that payment is not tax-deductible.
• When your background check is complete, you should get an email from Checkr with the results. At this point, you will be able to RSVP for further events as long as Steps 1 and 3 are also completed. You can see the status of these FOUR SDRT Volunteer Requirements from your Profile Page.
If you do not receive any of these emails from us or Checkr, please check your SPAM folder and add both of us to your safe sender list.
Alternately, if you DO NOT receive an email from Checkr with your results within a few days, and your Profile Page does not show a completed background check, please go online to your Checkr account to see if you have been cleared. If your background check has cleared, but that is not reflected on your Profile Page, please email us and we will sort out the technicalities.
Are you under 18 years of age? We welcome you to volunteer. Please submit a registration form here and we’ll respond to you with credentials soon.
Step 3: Agree to SDRT Policies
Login to your Profile Page and digitally agree to both SDRT’s Code of Conduct and Volunteer Release of Liability.
From your Profile Page, you will also be able to check on the status of your background check.
Step 4: Attend a Training Session
Now that you have attended a New Tutor Orientation, registered with us, digitally agreed to SDRT’s policies, and passed your background check, it is time to RSVP for ONE New Tutor Training session!
Our next New Tutor Training sessions are ONLINE and scheduled for:
Tuesday, September 22 at 5:30 p.m.
Thursday, September 24 at 5:30 p.m.
Space is limited and you will need to RSVP to your desired date in order to virtually attend.
If you have completed all four SDRT Volunteer Requirements and are still unable to RSVP, login to your PROFILE PAGE and then see Step 2 above for TROUBLESHOOTING TIPS.
Step 5: RSVP
In order for us to maintain a healthy 1-to-1 student-to-tutor ratio, we require that all volunteers plan to RSVP for and attend at least ONE session each WEEK for the duration of the school year. Our goal for you is to build a strong rapport with one of our students through consistent attendance, one week at a time.
Our Online Tutoring Sessions are held on Tuesdays and Thursdays at the following times:
K to 5th Grade: 4:45 p.m.–6:30 p.m.
6th thru 12th Grade: 6:15 p.m.–8:00 p.m.
Step 6: Donate!
SD Refugee Tutoring is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization that relies heavily on monetary donations.
As a prospective tutor, we are very thankful for the time you are planning to give to our students. We would additionally love you to consider donating to help keep the program running. DONATE HERE