Step 1: Attend orientation
Attend an hour long orientation! Our next Orientation sessions will not be until Tuesday, January 9th & Thursday, January 11th, but if you are a returning tutor please contact us. You will NOT be able to tutor the students on the same day as your orientation, but you will be able to join us for tutoring thereafter. Please arrive by 5:30 p.m. as we will begin orientation promptly.
Step 2: Register at least a week before your first session
Create an account with us and complete the application for the background check ($15 fee is required for running the background check). You will not be able to RSVP for a tutoring session until you complete these steps and pass the background check (which could take up to a week). Please plan accordingly based on when you wish to start tutoring.
After submitting this form, you’ll see on confirmation message on the page here with your unique invitation link to complete your background check with Checkr. You’ll complete your background on their website. NOTE: None of your sensitive information is stored on our website at all; all of that is handled by Checkr.com only. The only information kept on our site is related to your login credentials and a simple Yes/No whether you have passed the background check.
After you submit your background check, you’ll get the following information via email:
- A confirmation email from us with some basic information.
- Another email from us with your username and a link to create your password for our website. Please store that password safely (perhaps consider using LastPass). Keep in mind that your user account will not be active until you have passed your background check.
- You’ll get an email from Checkr with your unique invitation link as well. This is useful in case you close this window before following the invitation link you’ll see in the confirmation message.
- Once you’ve completed your background check and paid the $15, you’ll get a receipt from Checkr for your payment. NOTE: All funds are paid directly to Checkr for their services only. We do not receive any of those funds and that payment is not tax deductible.
- Once we get notification from Checkr that you have passed your background check, we’ll send you a final email saying that your user account is now enabled to RSVP for events.
Step 3: RSVP for three sessions every month
In order for us to maintain a healthy 1-to-1 student to tutor ration, we ask that all volunteers plan to RSVP for at least THREE sessions each month. This also helps to build rapport with you and our students.
Step 4: Donate
SD Refugee Tutoring is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization running completely volunteer lead, volunteer driven, and is funded only by donations. If you are a tutor, we are very thankful for your time that you give to our students. We would additionally love you to consider donating to help keep the program running. DONATE HERE