Step 1: Attend Orientation
RSVP to and attend a 1.5-hour New Tutor Orientation.
This will prepare you to attend a Tutoring session our first week back to tutoring on September 26 or 28!
No volunteer commitment is needed to attend the Orientation.
A background check DOES NOT need to be completed to attend an Orientation session.
Currently we do not have any Orientation sessions scheduled although we do expect to hold one on October 30.
Please email us here if you would like to be put on our Interested Tutors list.
We will schedule a New Tutor Orientation as soon as the need arises
& send out an email to those on the Interested Tutors list.
Step 2: Register
All tutors must create a User account with us using the Volunteer Registration Form below.
*If 18 & older, you must also complete the ensuing background check application, too ($9 fee is required by Checkr.local to run your background check), that filling out this registration form will trigger.
After submitting the form below, you’ll see a confirmation message on this page with your unique invitation link to complete your background check with Checkr. You’ll then be able to start the background check process on the Checkr website.
*If under 18, a background check can not be run & you will not see a Checkr invitation link.
PLEASE NOTE: The background check can take anywhere from a few hours to over a week. So please plan accordingly.
Are you under 18 years of age?
We welcome you to volunteer! Please complete the following steps:
- REGISTER BELOW (but do NOT complete the ensuing background check)
- ALSO HAVE YOUR PARENT/GUARDIAN COMPLETE ALL REGISTRATION STEPS
- Submit a Minors Registration Form here and review the policies laid out on that page.
After you submit your background check, you’ll get the following information via email:
- A confirmation email from us (SDRT) with some basic information.
- Another email from us with your username (your email address can also be used) and a link to create your password for our website.
- You’ll get an email from Checkr with your unique invitation link as well. This is useful in case you close this window before following the invitation link you’ll see in the confirmation message.
- Once you’ve started your background check and paid the $15, you’ll get a receipt from Checkr for your payment. NOTE: All funds are paid directly to Checkr for their services only. We do not receive any of those funds and that payment is not tax-deductible.
- When your background check is complete, you should get an email from Checkr with the results. At this point, you will be able to RSVP for events within 1 business day as long as Steps 1 and 3 are also completed. You can see the status of these FOUR SDRT Volunteer Requirements from your Profile Page.
If you do not receive any of these emails from us or Checkr, please check your SPAM folder and add both of us to your safe sender list.
Alternately, if you DO NOT receive an email from Checkr with your results within a few days, and the Volunteer Portal does not show a completed background check, please go online to your Checkr account to see if you have been cleared. If your background check has cleared, but that is not reflected in the Portal, please email us and we will sort out the technicalities.
Step 3: Agree to SDRT Policies
Login to the Volunteer Portal and navigate to the Requirement Status page in order to digitally agree to both SDRT’s Code of Conduct and Volunteer Waiver.
From the Volunteer Portal, you will also be able to check on the status of your background check.
Step 4: RSVP
In order for us to maintain a healthy 1-to-1 student-to-tutor ratio, we require that all volunteers plan to RSVP for and attend at least ONE session each WEEK for the duration of the school year. Our goal for you is to build a strong rapport with one of our students through consistent attendance, one week at a time.
You will be able to RSVP once Steps 1 thru 3 have been completed.
Our Tuesday & Thursday IN-PERSON Tutoring Sessions are held at Ibarra Elementary School in City Heights.
ALL GRADES: 5:00 p.m.–6:30 p.m.
Step 5 (optional): Donate!
SD Refugee Tutoring is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization that relies heavily on monetary donations.
As a prospective tutor, we are very thankful for the time you are planning to give to our students.
We would additionally love for you to consider donating to help keep the program running.