Our Goal for Giving Tuesday 2018
This year for Giving Tuesday, we are aiming HIGH. In order to provide the best tutoring environment, skills, resources, and experiences for our students, we are asking you to support us in raising $20,000 and 20 recurring, monthly donors by this Giving Tuesday, November 27, 2018.
Our Story and Our Future
Nine years ago, San Diego Refugee Tutoring started in one classroom with a handful of teachers and volunteers who had a vision of empowering refugee students to thrive rather than merely survive in an under-resourced public school system. In this short time, we’ve gone from tutoring 10 students in a single classroom once a week to 170 students in eight classrooms twice a week. Last school year we trained 550 volunteers alone. This year, we expect more students and more volunteers.
Because of this growth (not in spite of it), we are committed more than ever to our mission statement: to provide holistic academic support to each of our students.
We provide holistic, academic support to each of our 170+ students
Meeting this vision in light of our program’s growth requires us to build a stronger, more organized and sustainable organization. In years past, we survived by monetary donations from local churches, time donations from committed volunteers, and in-kind donations from a few individuals within our community. While we still need and appreciate all of those funding sources, we now need a whole lot more in volume.
Our Goals for the 2018-19 School Year
To continue our growth to meet the student and volunteer demand for our services, and to maintain and improve the quality tutoring we provide, this calendar year we are appealing to you to help us raise the funds we need to accomplish these goals:
- Hire on-site staff for better organization around the tutoring sessions.
- Recruit and train extra hands to organize field trips and experiences that challenge our students to dream big and beyond the inner city.
- Hire a liaison to interface with the staff at Ibarra Elementary and our local middle and high schools to better determine our students’ needs and meet them.
- Compensate our interpreters to continue making home visits and attending parent conferences — they are a crucial link between our students’ families and their children’s education.
- Purchase new books for our kids’ homes, wholesome snacks before our tutoring sessions, equal access to computers, updated educational resources for our classrooms, and extra clothing and shoes for our most in-need students.
- Most importantly, we need to continue training devoted tutors so they can continue committing their time to our kids.
Join Us on this Mission
As long as their needs exist, we are committed to seeing them thrive.
The word “tutoring” can sound simple; but the needs of these students are anything but. Our students come from many different cultural, religious, and language backgrounds. Their academic needs are varied and the gaps are sometimes very wide. But one thing they all share in common is that they really do want to learn.
Will you partner with us and join us on this mission?
#GivingTuesday is a global day of giving fueled by the power of collaboration and social media. Learn more about it here.